Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thanksgiving!

I know it has been forever since my last post. I simply have not thought of anything worthy of posting. I will say, I am pumped about Thanksgiving. I loved this picture though Lord knows here in the south, we won't be dining outdoors. Oh how fun if we could though. I love the idea of living in the Italian countryside eating all the homemade pasta, fresh bread, and olive oil my little heart desired. Food always tastes better outdoors. Okay, enough of that tangent. I will share that I am excited about cooking. I have grown to love it when I have the time and don't have a baby pulling at my pant leg the whole time. I fried chicken last night and we had a heart stopping, unhealthy meal and quite frankly, loved every minute of it. But I have found a few new recipes to try and thought I would share...
this one has been in every home magazine there is (I have read Real Simple, Southern Living, Cottage Living...not to mention People and US Weekly and it was in all of them...I promise I do more than read magazines. It is a weakness though)
Double Decker Pumpkin Pie
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon milk or half and half
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups whipped cream topping
1 graham cracker crust
1 cup cold milk or half and half
2 small vanilla flavored instant pudding packages
1 can pumpkin pie filling (16 oz)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Soft Pumpkin Cookies
1 (16 ounces) can pumpkin, 2 cups
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup (8 ounces) butter, softened
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1 cup pecan halves

Southern Living Chocolate Meringue Pie
(My Husband's all-time favorite)
1 cup sugar
3 T. cornstarch
Dash of salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate
1 T. butter
1 t. vanilla extract
1 baked 9-inch pastry shell
Meringue
-Combine first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; mix well.
-Combine milk and egg yolks; beat with a wire whisk 1 or 2 minus or until mixture is frothy. Gradually stir into sugar mixture, mixing well.
-Cook over medium heat; stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; add chocolate, butter and vanilla, stirring until chocolate and butter melt. Spoon into pastry shell; set aside.Prepare meringue; spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pastry. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until golden.
Meringue
4 egg whites
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cream of tarter
1/2 cup sugar
Beat egg whites and cream of tarter in a grease-free bowl at medium speed with an electric mixture until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 T. at a time, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes). Add vanilla, beating until blended. *Tip...be sure egg whites are at room temp (out about 30 minutes...this makes great meringue!)
And finally, something besides dessert. (As you can see, my passion is baking. I kind of hit and miss with cooking).
Corn Casserole
(My sweet friend Susan Johnston's recipe)Ummmm
1 box Jiffy cornbread
1 can cream corn
1 can whole kernel corn- drained
1 container French onion dip (small one)
½ cup water
2 eggs slightly beaten
½ t. sage
½ t. salt
¾ stick of butter
Mix all ingredients and pour into glass baking dish. Bake for 50 minutes at 350…last 5 minutes, top with shredded cheese. This has become a FAV at Thanksgiving at our house! We also often eat it during the week. YUMMY!
I truly pray each of you has SUCH a blessed Thanksgiving.  Posted by Picasa

No comments: