Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Welcome back Old Friend....

I was out playing with Abby Kate today when I noticed the first bloom on my rose bushes. I planted them as babies and they have grown more than I could have imagined. I realized this year that I have fallen in love with perennials. It is the same feeling I got as a child when a friend I wanted to play with was taking a nap and I was told to patiently wait until they woke up so we could play. This year, when I saw the new growth on my hydrangeas, I almost squealed with delight! They take a long nap through the winter and then come forth more beautiful each year. They bring me such pleasure!
My hydrangeas are my favorite. I adore the flower and cut them all summer to put in vases throughout my house. My Mom tells me they were my Grand Mumpies favorite flower and from the stories I hear of her, I want to love what she loves.
Both my Nannie and my Mom have incredible green thumbs. They can grow anything and everything flourishes in their gardens. I usually kill things. I realized this year that I love hearty plants because, lets face it, I still have pockets of irresponsibility and they play out with my flowers. But I so WANT to be a gardener. I listen to my Nannie talk lovingly about her gardens. She knows each flower by name and can tell me its likes and dislikes. My Mom even loves them. She was heartsick last year when one of my pots died and said "they are babies! You must give them water!" Ouch. I admire gardeners mostly because they are excellent caregivers. As a young mother, I still question everything I do as a parent and I so want to see her bloom. I am DETERMINED this year to watch my gardens and pots flourish!

"Like a rose, trampled on the ground, He took the fall, and thought of me, above all..."
Happy Easter...

No comments: